The Senior Manager is responsible for managing the Appraisal Institute research program. Responsibilities include identifying, gathering, organizing and sharing existing studies and secondary data, and fielding new studies to better understand the market and competitive pressures for the Appraisal Institute membership and education market, as well as real estate valuation industry. Serve as internal consultant to Appraisal Institute departments to ensure that market research studies are designed to achieve desired results, and on time and within budget. Identify and manage relationships with research agencies.
Develop and manage annual research plan and budget to ensure that the Appraisal Institute obtains key information needed for strategic planning and in support of programs, including information needed for benchmarking performance.
Prepare and present data on current and prospective projects to provide analysis, insight and decision support that will assist the Board of Directors, Strategic Planning Committee, and other committees, project teams, and staff in scanning, planning, evaluation/monitoring, and revision of Appraisal Institute strategies.
The Senior Manager will work with the Chief Executive Officer and other staff to establish goals for projects. In addition, the Senior Manager will provide the Chief Executive Officer with information and data on Appraisal Institute programs and projects.
Essential Job Duties:
- Develop and execute annual research plan to meet the information needs of the Appraisal Institute Board of Directors, Strategic Planning Committee, other committees, and departments, resulting in a continuously improving understanding of the Appraisal Institute’s members, stakeholders, and the competitive environment.
- Develop and execute strategic planning methodologies that facilitate constructive analysis of information and data that ultimately contribute to timely and effective decision-making by staff, management, project teams, committees and the Board of Directors.
- Create/manage a research database/library of all relevant research studies to identify critical real estate and professional association issues, track key indicators and support the Board of Directors and Strategic Planning Committee decision-making and program evaluation initiatives.
- Support and work with the Strategic Planning Committee and Board of Directors on the identification and evaluation of ideas and issues that may have immediate or long-term strategic implications for the Appraisal Institute.
- Support and work with the Strategic Planning Committee and Board of Directors on the formulation of research-based macro topics, goals, objectives, strategies, and tactics.
- Support and work with staff assigned to project teams, including development and consolidation of research and survey instruments and materials, participation in team meetings, and carrying out research initiatives under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer.
- Interact with department directors and staff to ensure that cooperative assignments are coordinated and completed in a timely manner.
- Mine secondary research sources (syndicated polls, research organizations, Interaction, Independent Sector, etc.) to capture and share learning from other organizations that can benefit the Appraisal Institute.
- Identify and manage outside vendors, as necessary, and in coordination with Appraisal Institute departments and other internal clients, develop research briefs and Requests for Proposals to meet the needs of client departments and projects.
- Research and investigate issues relating to project topics, as identified by a Project Team and/or Committee and/or Chief Executive Officer.
- Work with appropriate staff to ensure that executive summaries for all key research projects are written and distributed, focusing on interpretation of the results that translate key findings into recommended actions.
- Stay abreast of latest developments in the fields of Market Research and Strategic Planning, and work with the departments and Chief Executive Officer to incorporate industry best practices into Appraisal Institute program and project management.
- Work with staff on special project, as directed.
- Work to carry out the programs of the Executive department and the Appraisal Institute, as directed.
- Complete other duties and special projects as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
Job Qualification Requirements:
- Self-starter with strong capacity for independent action and initiative including decision-making and negotiating
- Willingness and ability to handle all aspects of assigned programs and projects, including overseeing project implementation with minimum direction
- Leadership ability
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, particularly excellent writing and presentation skills, including ability to translate complex research results into clear action steps
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to interact with all levels of the membership and staff
- Ability to utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills in fulfilling decision-making responsibilities; detail oriented, while also being able to conceptualize the big picture
- Willingness to do it all – from clerical to decision making
- 5 years work experience in a business or association/professional society environment where the organizations had at least 100 full-time staff and annual revenues of $20 million, preferably in market research, business consulting, marketing management, or the real estate industry including financial services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Market Research, Social Sciences, Statistics; Masters in Marketing, Economics, Market Research, or MBA desirable.
- Preference given to those with experience in market research in non-profit, corporate or advertising agency market research / planning function.
- Minimum two years of experience managing vendors and external services.
- Ability to travel as required
- Understands database and spreadsheet applications, with strong ability to use the Internet for data collection
- Experience with and understanding of research methodologies and analytical techniques, including understanding of statistical and financial analysis methods, and survey and query database software
- Good written and oral communications ability in order to present research information to members and staff
- Understanding of management and project management principles
The Appraisal Institute is a global professional association of real estate appraisers, with nearly 19,000 professionals in almost 60 countries throughout the world. Its mission is to advance professionalism and ethics, global standards, methodologies, and practices through the professional development of property economics worldwide. Organized in 1932, the Appraisal Institute advocates equal oppo...rtunity and nondiscrimination in the appraisal profession and conducts its activities in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Individuals of the Appraisal Institute benefit from an array of professional education and advocacy programs, and may hold the prestigious MAI, SRPA, SRA, AI-GRS and AI-RRS designations. Learn more at www.appraisalinstitute.org.