General Responsibilities: The Beef Issues Management program has two primary goals: 1) Lead the industry in consistent and effective responses to issues that threaten consumer confidence in beef; and 2) Strengthen the reputation of the beef industry by proactively communicating about farmer and rancher commitment to issues such as safety, sustainability, community and cattle care.
The Director, Issues Management (based in the Denver, CO office) leads a team of professionals responsible for the development and execution of issues management programs to build the reputation of the beef pasture to plate production process and the people behind it. This includes planning beef production immersion experiences, building relationships with key influencers, and developing strategic content and messaging. This position coordinates efforts with internal stakeholders from various departments to tell the beef story to a wide variety of audiences including nutrition and health professionals, retail and foodservice channel stakeholders and, ultimately, consumers.
- Responsible daily for leading a team of professionals to execute all proactive issues management efforts. Manages multiple team members and agency partners on complex projects and programs.
- Develops recommendations and strategies for proactive issues management efforts. This includes planning beef production immersion experiences, building relationships with key influencers (consumer and retail/foodservice), and developing strategic content and messaging.
- Carries out day day-to-day implementation of programs, progress reporting and budget tracking to ensure on-time results. Provides work direction to public relations agency partners, other service providers and resource team members. Prepares accounting, program and evaluation reports as needed.
- Supervises direct reports and other team members to develop and review project timelines, content, materials, invitations, agendas and etc. for proactive issues management programs and Facts About Beef properties.
- Tracks and reports key influencers to help inform and guide issues management efforts. Identifies or creates unique ways of reporting tracking information in easy-to-understand formats.
- Provides trusted counsel to state partner and cross-industry implementation of proactive issues management programming by providing recommendations, developing appropriate template tools and providing training on successful implementation techniques.
- Researches, writes, edits, develops and disseminates critical information through key messages, fact sheets, letters-to-the-editor, FAQs, web copy, by-lined articles, social media, issue alerts and other communication tools.
- Works closely with colleagues in other departments and program areas (e.g., Science and Product Solutions; Market Research; and etc.) to stay up-to-date on the latest research and industry programs to be leveraged through proactive programs and seamlessly coordinate outreach to common thought-leaders.
- Attends applicable government or scientific meetings to support identification and understanding of new research, likely partnerships, emerging issues or potential spokespeople.
- Serves as Theme Lead for Issues and Stewardship area of Checkoff programming and works closely with strategy lead, project teams and other NCBA staff to successfully implement strategic and effective programs.