| maaps MISSION The mission of the Massachusetts Association of Approved Private Schools (maaps) is to represent private special education schools in their goal of providing the highest quality education to students with special needs. |
The purpose of the position of Director of Government Affairs and Communications is to assist the Association in achieving its mission by advocating for legislation and regulation on behalf of approved private schools and their students and building broad awareness of special education needs and results in Massachusetts, developing and disseminating information to legislators and regulators, school districts and local governments, and the public. The Director of Government Affairs and Communications is a full time, salaried position.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Providing staff support to the activities of the maaps Government Affairs Committee including:
o Committee meeting notices, facility arrangements and implementing Committee activities o Establishing maaps annual legislative agenda o Coordinating annual regional legislative meetings o Supporting the development of member school relationships with legislators o Coordinating maaps grassroots legislative efforts with member school staff, students and parents
• Working with the association’s lobbying firm
• Reviewing and analyzing proposed legislation for support or opposition by the association
• Writing and disseminating Legislative Alerts and Advisories to member schools
• Writing and disseminating maaps FACT SHEETS on legislation and public policy issues
• Maintaining the association’s legislative activities section of the maaps websites
• Developing and maintaining the association’s Action Network grassroots network.
• Providing staff support to the maaps Public Relations Committee including:
o Implementation of maaps public relations strategy o Identification and dissemination of public interest stories concerning member schools, staff, students and families
• Development and dissemination of press releases regarding member school events, evidence based practice, visits of legislators to member school programs and any other newsworthy items.
• Other duties and responsibilities will be assigned to the Director of Government Affairs and Communications at the discretion of the Executive Director. These may include, but are not limited to, the following:
o Staffing the work of association committees or projects as assigned o Attending association board meetings, committee meetings and other association functions