AMERICAN POLITICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATION (APSA)
POSITION TITLE: MEETINGS ASSOCIATE
SALARY: COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree; knowledge of political science or other social science preferred.
The Meetings Associate supports and reports to the Director, Meetings and Events. The Meetings Associate assists in all phases of the Annual Meeting, conferences, and small meetings, including educational programming, logistics, and technology.
- Ability to work independently and in close collaboration with Director, Meetings and Events, and other staff members.
- Strong verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to manage timelines, deadlines, and multiple priorities under pressure.
- Capacity to manage multiple projects with energy and initiative.
- Outstanding written and editing abilities with high attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong analytic skills; prior experience with association databases preferred.
- Able to work collaboratively with other association departments and staff.
- General administrative support and database maintenance.
- Create invoices for meetings, check requests for payments, and complete paperwork for refunds and adjustments.
- Update meeting benchmarking reports on registration, housing, and other conference functions.
- Manage inventory, and bid and order supplies.
- Assist in the RFP process.
- Draft meetings-related content in the program book and mobile app, as well as provide edits.
- Coordinate registrations, respond to meeting inquiries, document registration and programming requests, and provide invitation letters.
- Assist with housing and room block administration.
- Coordinate event catering.
- Manage event shipment.
- Implement the pre-conference short courses and working group programs, serving as the main point of contact and assisting with A/V and catering needs.
- Compile and maintain list of future Annual Meeting conference chairs and their calls for proposals for distribution on-site at the Annual Meeting and for posting on the website.
- On-site logistical support.
- Manage poster session assignments and on-site execution.
- Create and maintain yearly room count forms.
- Research other meeting event venues and catering vendors.
- General conference support, as needed.