The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of The American Library Association, with membership of over 4,000, is seeking a highly skilled and innovative Deputy Director.
ALSC is dedicated to the support and enhancement of library service to children and assists its members in engaging communities to build healthy, successful, futures for all children. http://www.ala.org/alsc.
The ALSC Deputy Director serves as chief operations officer in support of the continuing growth and efficient operations for ALSC. The position will advance strategic priorities with staff and volunteers and will supervise several direct reports. This role will require a balance of strategic collaboration, project and personnel management, and budget oversight. ALSC seeks a candidate who will serve a critical role to support innovation, leadership and management for the division. The ALSC Deputy Director reports to the ALSC Executive Director and will work collaboratively with staff, the ALSC Board of Directors, and members in all areas of the Association.
- The ALSC Deputy Director serves as the chief operations officer for the unit and represents the division in the absence of the Executive Director
- Budget oversight including management of ALSC annual budget and grants; grant and board budget reports; and fiscal planning
- Responsible for the implementation of the strategic plan, including comprehensive needs assessment plan to develop programs and services to advance the plan; and the development and implementation of innovative strategies and appropriate budgets to meet organizational goals
- Managing the ALSC team by providing goal-focused and outcomes based direction to staff; assisting in unit goal setting and performance review processes; convening regular staff meetings; and facilitating cross training and professional development of staff
- Creating opportunities to enhance and advance internal and external relationships and collaborations with partners and stakeholders by evaluating potential external relationships and partnerships, and supervision of partnership officer position
- Administration of development programs, both through sponsorships and individual giving
- Oversight of ALSC communications, member recruitment, member retention, marketing, publishing, continuing education, e-learning, and professional and leadership efforts
- Developing content strategy to build upon ALSC’s non-serial publications, program & services
This is an opportunity to work in a fun and fast-paced environment that is mission-driven and empowers staff to creatively carry out responsibilities. The successful candidate will play a significant role in enhancing ALSC’s programs and increasing its impact and member capacity to engage communities in building successful and healthy futures for all children. The ALSC office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with numerous public transportation options nearby.
Closing Date: Consideration of candidates will begin on March 6, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
In addition to sending in your resume, candidates should include a cover letter outlining the strategic value that they will bring to ALSC, drawing upon past successes and experience.
Apply online including your cover letter, resume and salary expectations,
(Additional documents are uploaded on the same screen as the resume)
Send your cover letter, resume and salary expectations to:
American Library Association
Human Resources Department
Mary Pullen, Sr Human Resources Manager
50 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran