SmithBucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is looking for an experienced Meeting & Event Coordinator to join the Event Services team in Washington D.C. Our Event Services unit provides meeting, convention, event and tradeshow management worldwide through the expertise of our meeting professionals, who manage every facet and detail of our client organizations' events. Our goal is to work closely with a client organization's leaders to create an enjoyable conference experience for all attendees, exhibitors and sponsors, while ensuring a successful outcome based on the organizations' event objectives.
What You Will Do
- Lead and contribute to the coordination of all aspects of client association conferences, meetings, tradeshows and other events (pre-planning, onsite execution and post-event wrap-up)
- Perform site searches, provide recommendations to clients and negotiate hotel and convention center contracts
- Produce event specifications and manage vendors for all aspects of events (F&B, AV, GSC, temps, photography, transportation, security, etc.)
- Assist in financial management including budget creation, monitoring revenue/expense performance and collection of registration and/or exhibit fees
- Track hours performed vs. hours budgeted and advise of discrepancies
- Develop and maintain solid relationships with exhibitors/sponsors
- Contribute effective ideas to client strategic planning and analysis processes
- Assume planning responsibilities for multiple clients and meetings
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You have a passion for meeting and event planning, and are excited by the opportunity to work with multiple clients in varying industries
- You have a positive attitude and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and highly collaborative environment
- You demonstrate flexibility and problem-solving skills to resolve situations in a professional and calm manner
- You have the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- You possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- You are self-motivated and a self-starter with strong interpersonal skills
- You possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- You have the ability to lift 40 pounds
- You have the ability to travel 35%, both domestic and international
- You are open to working overtime and inconsistent hours as needed to attend events and client meetings (may include weekends)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience in the area of meeting/event/convention/tradeshow planning
- Experience working in a multi-client and/or project-based event environment is highly preferred
- Experience with international meetings and tradeshows is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of meeting industry terminology and comprehensive knowledge of meeting planning, tradeshow and registration processes
- Familiarity with venues, facilities, convention centers and convention city packages throughout the country
- Project management experience to include meeting deadlines on time and on budget
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin Corporation, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.