Reporting to and partnering with CEO, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will set ASGE’s financial policy and direction while also being an active participant in, and driver of, the organization’s overall strategy. The incumbent will lead all financial administration, business planning, and budgeting. As a member of the Executive Team, the CFO will work closely with the Governing Board and Treasurer as well as ASGE’s Human Resources and I.T. departments. The incumbent will also function as Chief Financial Officer of the ASGE Foundation.
Essential Job Functions
The essential job functions listed below represent the primary duties and responsibilities of this job. Other duties and responsibilities within the scope of this job may be assigned to the employee. These essential job functions may change from time to time based on the strategic and operational needs of the organization.
- Partner with the CEO on all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to the CEO based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation and revenue/expense analysis
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the Executive Team
- Participate in all Board and Executive Committee meetings and conference calls
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with ASGE’s strategic plan
- Engage all members of the Executive Team to align financial management with short and long term financial planning and projections
- Engage the Budget & Finance Committee, the Audit Committee and the Investment Committee around issues and trends.
Financial and Operational Management
- Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets and projections, so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally
- Ensure that the finance staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and monitor the use of all funds
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and ASGE’s Governing Board; prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting
- Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations, thus providing the most competitive packages for ASGE’s employees
- Assist external auditors in the preparation of the financial year-end analysis and supervise internal audit procedures
- Oversee and coordinate all payroll activity with external payroll service provider
- Maintain effective bank relationships, and oversee association loans and investments.
- Review all formal finance related procedures, processes, and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets (computers, furniture, etc.) assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations
- Develop and manage the Finance Department comprised of five full time staff, guide larger multidisciplinary teams outside of direct span of control
- Engage other members of the Executive Team, the Chief Operating Officer, the Chief Communications Officer and the Chief Policy and Learning Officer, to facilitate cross-department collaboration that ensures that all financial solutions positively support ASGE’s evolving strategy and operational delivery
- Provide guidance in attracting and developing key national team members for ASGE
- Serves as a member of the ASGE Leadership Team; performs other duties as assigned; and maintains knowledge of the external environment related to GI Endoscopy and health care
To achieve quality results under demanding time frames; to maintain high ethical standards; to prioritize and plan work activities, to use time efficiently; to develop realistic action plans; to exhibit sound and good judgment; to delegate work assignments, to set clear expectations; and to monitor delegated activities.
All employees of ASGE are required to work collaboratively with others and demonstrate a cooperative, flexible and adaptable approach to build and maintain respectful working relationships. The following depicts the degree to which the employee in this job will need to manage relationships with people in these primary groups.
Working Conditions and Other Requirement
In general, work is performed in an office environment. Because of the nature of our business, ASGE employees may be required to perform work off-site (i.e. hotels, conference centers, etc). On occasion, physical exertion (i.e. lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling) may be required to perform the essential job functions. The incumbent will be required to travel locally, within and outside of the continental United States.