Director of Information Technology Job Description
Since 2000, the Financial Planning Association® (FPA®) has been the principal professional organization for Certified Financial PlannerTM (CFP®) professionals, educators, financial services professionals and students who seek advancement in a growing, dynamic profession. More than 23,000 FPA members adhere to the highest standards of professional competence, ethical conduct and clear, complete disclosure to those they serve. Through a collaborative effort to provide members with One Connection to tools and resources for professional growth, business success, advocacy and community, FPA has become an indispensable force in the advancement of today’s CFP® professional.
FPA Staff Values
Demonstrate Agreement with and Desire to Work within FPA’s Staff Values. FPA staff is committed to creating a professional environment that is:
We listen to and are receptive of each other’s ideas and input and assume good intent of all colleagues.
We work together towards the same strategic objectives, recognize each department’s goals and individual contributions toward achieving our mission.
We foster a supportive culture that encourages innovation, leadership, trust, and personal and professional growth.
We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions and commitments while making positive contributions to the organization.
The Director of Information Technology is responsible for all aspects of the organization’s information technology (IT) including infrastructure, software applications, data management, security, and end user training and support to assist FPA in achieving its strategic objectives and optimizing its business operations.
- Provides leadership to IT team
- Manages the development, design/architecture, installation, analysis, and on-going improvement of the information technology infrastructure to maintain security, performance, scalability, and reliability to support FPA’s strategic and operational goals and objectives.
- Manages and provides responsive end user assistance for supported hardware and software.
- Provides IT project management oversight for projects involving internal staff and/or vendor partner resources and ensures the projects are delivered within scope, timeline, and budget constraints. Provides regular status reports to all stakeholders.
- Coordinates and facilitates consultation with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology initiatives.
- Assists business users with data analysis and reporting to support effective data-driven decision making.
- Promotes and manages strategic relationships with IT vendors.
- Develops and manages the IT annual operating and capital budgets.
- Develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Defines and communicates corporate plans, policies, and standards for the organization for acquiring, implementing, and operating IT systems.
- Ensures IT system operations comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Directs development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Reviews contracts for hardware, software, and IT services.
- Keeps current with trends and issues in the IT field including current technologies and prices. Advises, counsels, and educates executives and management on their competitive or financial impact.
- Provides and/or arranges for staff technology training, as needed.
- Serves as system administrator for enterprise systems where business unit staff are unable to perform that role.
- Oversees IT governance and data governance teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent understanding of project management principles and experience managing IT projects.
- Demonstrated ability to apply IT in solving business problems.
- Familiarity with cyber security principles and practices.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations as they relate to IT.
- Familiarity with SQL database querying, reporting, and data analytics.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to present ideas and explain concepts to non-technical staff in language they can understand.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration.
- At least seven (7) years related experience and at least three (3) years managing an IT operation.
- Substantial experience with supporting a variety of hardware (Windows desktops and laptops, network switches, firewalls) and software including enterprise applications such as CRM, ERP, and association management systems in a hybrid cloud environment.
- Experience with the applications development lifecycle from business requirements analysis through implementation and maintenance.
This position reports to the Chief Marketing Officer