Position: Executive Director
Section on Women’s health of the APTA (SOWH)
The Executive Director is responsible for daily implementation and management of activities, programs, budget, governance, long-term plans, mission and objectives of SOWH in compliance with the AMG/SOWH-contracted scope of services and the SOWH strategic plan and budget. The Executive Director serves as the primary liaison between the Board of Directors and AMG in all matters pertaining to the services to and operation of the organization.
The Executive Director is also responsible for managing delivery of shared services in accordance with the applicable SOWH scope of work found in the AMG management contract, SOWH annual budget and SOWH strategic goals. The Executive Director executes contracts and agreements for and on behalf of SOWH subject to approval by the board; works with all SOWH committees to provide proper staff support; and oversees the planning of all SOWH education and meetings as directed by and in support of the board’s Director of Programming and Director of Education.
The Executive Director plans, oversees and implements membership programs with direction from the Membership Committee and Board of Directors, drives creation and execution of non-dues financial development strategies in partnership with the Treasurer and Director of Financial Development, and actively contributes to growth strategies and troubleshooting of the education program.
In addition, the Executive Director manages staff performance to ensure high-quality service to members and productive, constructive growth of the association along with delivery of meaningful benefits to SOWH members.
Goals & Objectives:
- Maintain a positive relationship with the board of the Section on Women’s Health
- Work toward achievement of the new SOWH mission, vision and strategic plan
- Ensure compliance with all laws, board-approved practices and procedures, and AMG-required policies
- Support and integrate best association practices whenever possible
- As listed in the AMG-SOWH Exhibit 1 Scope of Services
- Manage all SOWH-contracted services and two SOWH-assigned staff
- Monitor and implement SOWH’s strategic plan
- Support and supervise overall governance
- With the Treasurer, monitor and manage finances, including financial planning/budgeting. Draft the annual budget with the treasurer after input from all directors, committees, and staff, as relevant
- Promote internal and external relations
- Oversee management of two certification programs and multiple collaborative courses, (normally would not see that in a job description
- Manage the strategic communications, marketing and PR, including website
- Develop new and upgraded products, services and approaches in response to opportunities/weaknesses identified in the strategic plan, 2016 Membership Survey, and relevant data
- Analyze key performance indicators regularly (e.g., analytics of monthly communications, education attendance/spending, financials, membership numbers) for board and committee dashboards
- Respond to public/member inquiries, as directed by the Board
- Manage promotion and marketing for the Combined Sections Meeting sessions and pre-conference programs, as well as other APTA events with an SOWH presence
- Oversee and work to grow revenues outside of education and dues, such as advertising, products and sponsorships
- Help research volunteers and the contracted editor-in-chief develop a strategy to transform the Journal on Women’s Health Physical Therapy into a well-respected, evidence-based publication, per the strategic plan. Grow the new research PT SmartBrief newsletter.
- Manage the election process, including the online ballot process and coordinating with Nominating Committee chair
- Manage annual summer board retreat, board meeting, and CSM-related board logistics
- Liaise with key stakeholders such as American Physical Therapy Association
- Maintain insurance for Directors and Officers and other needs, etc.
- Coordinate audit and tax preparation with the board’s choice of an external firm
- Manage functioning, analytics, and content strategy for the SOWH website
- Help board leaders spearhead strategic alliances with related organizations