Reports to: Senior Technical Director, Regulatory Affairs
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Office Location: Headquarters, Washington, DC
General Summary: Leads industry codes and standards activities representing the industry on all relevant committees.
Lead PLASTICS’ codes and standards activities, including:
- Developing, recommending, implementing and managing PLASTICS’ standards programs, to include:
- Leading the Equipment Council’s Machinery Safety Standards Committees (i.e., Blow Molding Safety Committee, Extrusion Safety Committee, Injection Molding Safety Committee and Robot Safety Committee) including committee roster maintenance, calls and meetings, action items and minutes, follow-ups, insure timely payment of all Standards Committee dues (ANSI, B11,etc.),
- Responsibility for the oversight of the procedures for standards review, comments and appropriate vetting process for updating changes.
- Receiving and responding to communications received through process.
- Working with international partners as necessary to promote the harmonization of standards and guidelines where possible and beneficial to the industry.
- Monitoring additional codes and standards relevant for the plastics industry, including regularly reviewing the publications of codes and standards organizations and maintaining tracking documents (e.g., PLASTICS’ Scorecards).
- Alerting members and staff to codes and standards-based issues to ensure members have a voice and are able to properly engage in the process.
- Interacting with other trade associations or state and national organizations to resolve inter-industry issues and concerns.
- Summarizing codes and standards activities for staff and members, and working with staff on related communications (e.g., statements; newsletter and website content).
Lead or support organization-specific activities, including:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI B11, especially ANSI/ASSE Z244.1 and ANSI Z535.3)
- Lead activities related to all accreditation issues including providing relevant documentation for ANSI audit purposes, identify appropriate alternate voting representative.
- Manage the cyclical review and verification of machinery standards in compliance with ANSI process.
- Manage the updating of codes, guidelines and standards referencing “SPI” to “PLASTICS”.
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- Facilitate PLASTICS’ Equipment Council’s Machinery Safety Standards Committee administration of the U.S. Technical Advisory Group (TAG) for ISO Technical Committee ISO/TC 199, Safety of machinery.
- Participate in the U.S. TAG for ISO/TC 39/SC10, Machine tools, Safety.
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- Represent PLASTICS as a User-level Committee member for NFPA 652 and NFPA 654 (relating to combustible dust), including assisting with their triennial review period in coordination with PLASTICS’ EHS+ Committee staff.
- Support PLASTICS’ Organic Peroxide Producers Safety Division (OPPSD) member representation in NFPA 400: Hazardous Materials Code, including assisting with the annual review period in coordination with OPPSD staff.
- ASTM International
- Represent PLASTICS through active participation in Committee D20 on Plastics.
- Represent PLASTICS through active participation in Committee F40 on Declarable Substances in Materials.
- Support PLASTICS staff that manages member committees and projects involving ASTM Committee work products and related initiatives.
- Other Organizations
- Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB).
- Other organizations as identified by member interest.
- Internal: Staff, members, consultants and legal counsel.
- External: Codes and standards bodies, trade associations, industry coalitions and relevant government agencies.