The Director, Communications develops and implement communications strategies and tactics that align with organizational goals and objectives, including strengthening n4a’s brand and reputation. The successful candidate is a passionate communicator with solid web and social media expertise. Other attributes of the successful candidate are: strong writer, efficient time and project manager, organized and detail-oriented, creative and forward-thinking, a team player able to juggle multiple projects daily.
This position reports to the Chief, Public Policy & External Affairs and is based in n4a’s Washington, DC office.
- Under the leadership of the CPPEA, play a vital leadership role in all of n4a’s communications and marketing efforts, working to ensure consistent, effective management of n4a’s organizational voice, communications plan and marketing strategies.
- Take the primary role in the development, implementation and evaluation of the annual communications plan. Work in collaboration with the PPEA team and all n4a staff and consultants to ensure integrity of the organization’s brand and communications plan.
- Make significant leadership-level contributions to improve the organization’s ability to achieve its mission through effective communications, marketing and outreach.
- Supervise a team member (Communications Associate) while working collaboratively to accomplish the communications plan. Work closely on a daily basis with senior (chief) and junior (associate) members of the PPEA team, as well.
- Supervise the development, planning and production of all online and print publications and social media publishing.
- Take lead responsibility for smooth functioning and updating of n4a’s primary website and approve design and content of n4a’s affiliate or program-related websites. Lead the generation of online content that engages n4a’s key stakeholders and audiences and leads to measurable action.
- Support the communications (e.g., marketing, editing, publishing) needs of all n4a projects and programs by working collaboratively with lead program, policy and administrative staff to support their efforts.
- Direct the creation and production of a weekly e-newsletter. Support the distribution of multiple other electronic communications developed by other teams.
- Be a visionary leader on using affordable technologies to work smarter and expand our communication outreach to members and outside stakeholders.
- Act as the internal point person for all media/press relations. Work with CEO, CPPEA and part-time consultants on media messaging strategies; support CEO/CPPEA’s roles as spokespeople; and directly manage relationships with reporters and other media professionals. Maintain lists of media contacts.
- Craft press releases and other outreach or public relations tools (e.g., blogs, brochures, letters, scripts, etc.) on a wide array of n4a priorities and positions.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with n4a members, media contacts, national partners and other outside groups.
- Establish and manage vendor relationships to ensure fiscal integrity and high quality results.
- Contribute as needed to the overall smooth functioning of n4a’s office and the PPEA team. Cross-team duties include planning and hands-on support of n4a’s annual conference and tradeshow, as well as special projects or other duties as assigned.