Did you know Oregon produces 99 percent of the U.S. Hazelnut crop? While representing just five percent of the world crop, Oregon hazelnuts have become the global benchmark for in-shell excellence, recognized for their large size and distinctive flavor.
About 800 grower families and farms nestled along the length of the Willamette Valley from Roseburg, Oregon through the State of Washington and 20 processors make up the growing community and industry. About 50% of Oregon’s annual hazelnut crop is exported worldwide annually. The industry ranks among the fastest growing agriculture sectors in the Pacific Northwest.
Started in 1949, the Oregon Hazelnut Industry Office (OHIO) has become the governing body for the national industry comprised of the Hazelnut Marketing Board, the Oregon Hazelnut Commission, the Nut Growers Society of Oregon, Washington and British Columbia and the Associated Oregon Hazelnut Industries.
We are seeking a progressive and strategic Chief Executive Officer to lead the growth and innovation objectives of the Hazelnut Industry Office. Success in this role requires the ability to increase the awareness and use of all forms of Oregon hazelnuts within prioritized market segments and to sustainably expand the Oregon hazelnut industry. The exceptional candidate will have demonstrated experience in leading all areas of an organization in its expansion phase.
- Developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization while making consistent and timely progress in executing
- Implementing a digital marketing solution to drive awareness and influence of the brand
- Using technology to modernize systems, processes and strategies to the benefit of the industry
- Managing all financial plans, budgets and systems to include payroll, reporting and compliance
- Maintaining effective relationships with public and private organizations, promoting interest and active participation in industry and OHIO activities
- Coordinating legislative, regulatory and political efforts and maintaining relationships with government officials and agencies impacting the industry
- Executing a communication strategy and good working relationships with community groups, sponsors, long-tern funding partners, politicians, and other organizations
- Developing an operational plan to effectively and efficiently manage the day-to-day activities of the Office including key, scalable changes to policies, procedures and guidelines with approval of the OHIO governing board
- Administering the industry’s research, promotion and marketing program and providing the necessary administrative support to ensure compliance with established mandates and controls
- Developing workforce strategy to recruit, train, and motivate staff. Establishing performance standards and goals for all projects and major activities of staff
- Ability to lead and influence others in a variety of situations and initiatives
- Force of presence; ability to have grace under pressure and credibility with stakeholders
- Desire and ability to detect industry needs from a big picture level while simultaneously fulfilling needs of day to day activities
- Excellent communication, collaboration and facilitation skills with individuals and groups
- Exceptional organization and effective time-management skills and experience
- A background and experience in agriculture
- A degree (or equivalent work-related experience) in business/public administration, marketing, or administrative and organizational experience
- Experience in working with an industry that is in an expansion phase preferred
- Demonstrated skills in administrative tasks and grant writing desired but not required
The CEO is expected to reside within the Greater Portland area. Our headquarters is located in Aurora, Oregon. Candidates should expect minimum travel outside of the state but live interactions with various members and stakeholders on a consistent basis.
An attractive compensation package commensurate with the responsibility and significance of this position will be offered to the successful candidate. Benefit package includes paid vacation, sick leave and holidays; health insurance and a defined retirement plan.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume in Word or PDF format referencing OHIO CEO to:
Harvey A. Meier PhD, CMC®
CEO and Board Advisor
Harvey A. Meier Co.