The Director, Business Development, is responsible for the steady, strategic growth of corporate and foundation partnerships to advance NACUBO’s mission and strategic plan. The Director accomplishes this by developing, cultivating, and strengthening relationships with current and prospective business partners, proactively advancing and negotiating funding opportunities, identifying in-kind support, and maximizing engagement of corporate entities. The Director, in conjunction with the executive management team and fellow directors, develops a business partner member engagement strategy and ensures multifaceted levels of participation at relevant and appropriate NACUBO programs and in the creation of NACUBO products and services. The success of the program depends on identifying and cultivating new prospects, building, and maintaining extensive networks, engaging with internal and external stakeholders at different levels, and maintains relationships with existing partners while simultaneously achieving a valuable return on investment by our industry partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Lead the strategic vision and planning for building a comprehensive and sophisticated sponsorship plan, including the design and execution in alignment with NACUBO’s mission.
• Build relationships and conduct strategic conversations with top industry corporations and key corporate contacts.
• Develop clear protocols and plans in current and future business development, targeting companies/organizations, maximizing corporate engagement, and fostering superior customer experiences and retention.
• Leverage relationships to give value-added services that support programs and activities of the association, such as product donations and content expertise that support educational programs and services.
• Track partner contracts and sponsorships and ensure that transactions are appropriately recorded and acknowledged. Analyze and evaluate sponsorship activities to ensure impact and growth and recommend changes as necessary.
• Identify key areas of opportunity for corporate, foundation and business partner engagement to support work across NACUBO.
• Develop and implement strategies to strengthen the sponsorship, exhibition, and corporate-sponsored sessions to align them with corporate relations strategies.
• Assure appropriate cultivation, stewardship, and other engagement opportunities of corporate and foundation donors together with relevant and appropriate NACUBO staff.
• In conjunction with Membership Development staff, develop strategies to enhance business partner member value.
• Supervise three staff that manage sponsorships, advertising, and exhibit sales.
• With the Vice President of Professional Development, manage short- and long-term progress toward funding NACUBO’s strategic priorities.
• Manage business development budget.
• Represent business development at a variety of NACUBO- and regional-related meetings.
Key Attributes, Skills, and Competencies
• Analytical: Candidate must feel comfortable understanding the elements of business and financial management of institutions from a holistic, top-level perspective.
• Strategic: Candidate must be able to seek out and piece together fragments of information, recognizing patterns and drawing conclusions based on sometimes incomplete information, and develop appropriate strategies to meet member needs and the association’s objectives.
• Excellent writing skills: Individual will author member communications that must be clear, concise, and compelling.
• Presence: Candidate will regularly interact with representatives from member institutions, leaders of the regions and other higher education associations and other partners, business partners and other stakeholders.
• Self-starter: Have the discipline to adhere to deadlines, and fulfill commitments to staff, members, and other stakeholders. Must demonstrate initiative in taking on new projects, seeking out content and scanning the environment for potential program topics and motivating colleagues into action.
• Team Player: Candidate must have a team spirit, approach relationships with a win-win perspective, and be accountable for their interactions in a collaborative work environment. Must have the ability to work in a changing environment and area of work.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in communications, public relations, sales/marketing, or related field, preferred.
• Seven to ten years of experience in sponsorship, exhibition management and advertising preferred.
• Experience in sales, marketing, advertising, and customer relationship management is required.
• Knowledge of not-for-profit/association environment and college/university administration a plus.
• Proven ability to motivate and lead people and to work collaboratively.
• Proven ability to design and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies, and ensure follow up activities are executed.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills are vital.
• Supervisory/management experience required.
• Candidate must have knowledge of all Microsoft office programs.
• Must be able to move about the office as well as sit for long periods of time.
Located in Washington, D.C., NACUBO serves a membership of more than 2,500 colleges, universities, and higher education service providers across the country. NACUBO represents chief administrative and financial officers through a collaboration of knowledge and professional development, advocacy, and community. Our vision: to define excellence in higher education business and financial management.
Established in 1962, NACUBO has been an association since it succeeded a federation of associations of business officers that had given the profession a framework since 1951. NACUBO now represents more than two-thirds of the higher education institutions in the United States.