The full-time Communications Coordinator is responsible for promoting ACNM and midwifery by coordinating, implementing, and assessing the organization’s communications strategy. Major activities include handling of all social media accounts and website updates; work related to promoting and marketing the meetings of the organization; promotion of ACNM membership, educational offerings, and advocacy efforts; drafting and sending email communications; writing/editing content for newsletters and meetings; and maintenance of an annual communications calendar. This position requires flexibility, good judgment, the ability to communicate a point of view that accurately represents ACNM, experience updating websites and managing social communications with digital technology, and strong, professional writing/editing skills. ACNM is EEOC compliant.
Develops and maintains an organizational annual communications calendar.
Coordinates requests from all departments to add items to the communications calendar.
Related to Media Relations
Supports the creation and distribution of ACNM news releases.
Provides support in maintaining media lists.
Related to ACNM Meetings
Develops and maintains the Annual Meeting and Midwifery Works! websites.
Develops PowerPoint “assets” for the annual meeting, drafts scripts for events and sessions, oversees collection and management of scripts before the meeting and during the meeting; works with external meetings management company to do this onsite.
Implements effective marketing communications for the ACNM Annual Meeting and Midwifery Works! meeting.
Assists with the organization, collection, and management of content related to the annual meeting.
Imports accurate information into the annual meeting mobile app, keeping content up-to-date prior to and during the meeting. Designs and pushes out notifications to attendees.
Performs other annual meeting duties as needed.
Related to ACNM Products and Services
· Develops and implements effective marketing strategies for ACNM products and services including ACNM websites, regional programs, ‘Find a Midwife’ practice locator, and other projects, working in conjunction with other staff and vendors.
Supports activities of ACNM domestic grants through development of newsletters, toolkits and other work products.
Disseminates promotional and educational materials for ACNM’s grants to partners, members, and target populations through email blasts, newsletters, social media venues and educational campaigns.
Contributes to monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports regarding grant-related activities.
Provides general support for publications and marketing materials.
Assists with midwife.org website management as needed.
Related to Social Media and Member Communications
Oversees ACNM Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube accounts.
Develops the bi-weekly Midwifery Now e-newsletter, gathering content from all staff.
Develops and maintains the website for Quickening, ACNM’s online news site. Assists in compiling the “best of” print issues twice/year. Assists with ad sales management.
Participates in the moderation of ACNM Connect, ACNM’s members-only online community.
Develops and implements social media campaigns on behalf of ACNM and its members, including National Midwifery Week.
Integrates social media into ACNM marketing and public relations activities when appropriate.
Maintains social media contacts and platforms, curates and creates original social media content, including infographics and brief videos, to promote ACNM, midwifery, and ACNM campaigns.
Manages and executes email and other marketing campaigns, plans or helps to plan campaigns as needed.
Follows and implements social media best practices; uses analytics to track metrics and improve engagement.
Assists with proofreading and copyediting as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field preferred.
- 2+ years of professional communications expertise required.
- Advanced social media expertise required.
- Track record with design of websites required; WordPress knowledge required.
- Knowledge of health care issues is desirable, as is experience in a membership-based organization.
- Experience with tools and technologies to effectively manage projects from start to finish. Must have the ability to handle several projects at once.
- Experience working on projects and events ranging in size and level of detail that require development of integrated communication materials.
- Proven track record with deadlines and time management.
- Experience with Google analytics, Adobe Suite, Canva, photography, and video a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, top notch customer service (internal and external) with ability to interact with individuals at all levels.
- Required computer proficiency includes: social media management tools such as Hootsuite, database programs, email marketing systems such as MailChimp, survey software, mid-level knowledge of html and WordPress.
- Situational awareness and ability to be flexible and respond to challenging situations appropriately.
- Works well in a team environment and takes appropriate individual initiative to problem-solve.
- Must be available for approximately 1-2 weeks annual domestic travel. Knowledge of Customer Management Systems, preferably Impexium.
Organizational Norms/Core Values
· Respect – Works collaboratively to develop positive relationships and treats staff, volunteers, and stakeholders in a manner that promotes fairness, inclusivity, teamwork, and the accomplishment of ACNM’s strategic goals.
· Customer Service Focus – Proactive, professional, and responsive to meeting the service expectations of all customers; both internal and external to ACNM.
· Teamwork – Leverages knowledge across the organization and diversity to enhance the work of ACNM and works collaboratively to develop positive relationships with staff, volunteers, members, and other stakeholders to achieve the shared ACNM goals.
· Transparency – Engages in openness, communication and accountability of ACNM business processes and decisions.
· Accountability –Displays honesty and truthfulness, confronts problems quickly, and displays strong commitment to the success of the ACNM including a willingness to accept full responsibility in meeting ACNM’s core values and work performance expectations.
The incumbent is able to:
· Sit for prolonged periods.
· Communicate with individuals by telephone, e-mail and face-to-face.
· Work at a computer for prolonged periods.
· Travel on occasion.
Internal Number: Coordinator - 002
About American College of Nurse-Midwives
The American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) is the professional association that represents certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) and certified midwives (CMs) in the United States. ACNM sets the standard for excellence in midwifery education and practice in the United States and strengthens the capacity of midwives in developing countries. Our members are primary care providers for women throughout the lifespan, with a special emphasis on pregnancy, childbirth, and gynecological and reproductive health.