As the Deputy Director for The ESOP Association (TEA), you will oversee the planning and execution of logistics for various conferences and Chapter meetings throughout the year. This position reports to the Vice President, Events & Education. In addition to managing staff and volunteers onsite, your ability to efficiently coordinate vendors, timelines, meeting flow, adhere to budgets, and to oversee our meeting database and mobile app will be essential.
TEA is the only organization that advocates on behalf of all ESOP companies. Dedicated to education, The ESOP Association attracts more than 10,000 people annually to its 18 chapters and five national meetings —including the Employee Owner Conference & Tradeshow, which is the largest ESOP event in the world. In this role, you will collaborate across departments, maintain content submissions, coordinate with speakers, and ensure logistics are effectively planned and executed. Through your attention to detail, the inevitable changes will be handled professionally and communicated effectively to everyone involved. As you learn the needs of TEA and staff, conference attendees, volunteers, and speakers, you will have an opportunity to provide valuable input on processes, procedures, and future events.
Overall, you will have responsibility for the events database and conference systems. It will be your responsibility to update information, organize program content submissions and reviews, generate and maintain reports, and provide member access to the information as appropriate including website updates.
• General: o Document the events process, make suggestions for improvements, implement changes and create SOPs. o Reconcile budget and expenditures, code bills, and process reimbursements. o Travel to support the events as required.
• Logistics & Operations: o Manage hotel room pickup reports and work with VP to maintain history. o Create and maintain event specifications for each assigned meeting including BEOs and vendor resumes. o Interface with event vendors and maintain event orders. o Handle meeting related supplies orders and keep up-to-date inventories. o Maintain and update accordingly schedules and timelines along with details for events including venue specifications, audiovisual requirements, timelines, abstracts, food and beverage requirements, temp staffing, special events, and security. o Manage vendors for insurance, travel, exhibit decoration, design, art/graphics, printers, etc. o Provide logistics services to support a variety of meeting formats (open forum, discussion panels, presentations, live video presentations), etc. o Cultivate and maintain relationships with an extensive variety of suppliers and industry service providers.
• Exhibits and Sponsorships: o Interact with the general service contractors in the development of the exhibitor service kit and prospectus, benefits, etc. as appropriate. o Maintain exhibitor and sponsorship database and keep accurate records. o Work with VP, Events & Education on the development of exhibitor prospectus and sponsorship prospectus, and booth display rules. o Track all sponsorships and exhibitor campaigns and provide customer service to sponsors and exhibitors, including organizing the annual marketplace exhibit for sponsors. o Work with Accounts Receivable on the invoicing and collection of sponsorship and exhibitor fees, etc. o Serves as primary contact for exhibitor and sponsor registration questions based on benefits and packages and ensure email inboxes and calls are managed with the highest level of customer service.
• Technology: o Handle all aspects of the ESOP Event mobile app development including graphic designs, raw data import and content maintenance. o Provide information and updates for the various event websites.
• Marketing & Communications: o Work in conjunction with the VP and Communications Department and coordinate organize,print, and collate all meeting materials. o Collaborate on integrated marketing and communications campaigns to promote events. o Communicate with all stakeholders on changes and update specifications, schedules and spreadsheets accordingly. o Work closely with the communications department to oversee copywriting, design, and production for various materials related to events including brochures and promotions. Ensure all materials have a consistent visual identity, are accurate, maintain graphic standards, and are written in a professional style and tone.
• Customer Service: o Serve as primary contact for exhibitor and sponsorship questions for all National meetings and ensure email inboxes and calls are managed with the highest level of customer service. o Work with other departments on programs that support the Membership. o Receive, evaluate and process all certifications. o Support the VP to develop, disseminate, and collect evaluation forms, survey instruments, and other forms of formal and informal feedback to determine success in meeting the events mission and goals.
• Speaker Management: o Manage local and session speakers for the educational programs including tracking and managing speaker information, confirming speaker AV and other related tasks. o Work with speakers on-site to ensure they have appropriate equipment and materials needed to successfully present to audiences.
• On-site Management: o Manage and work with venue and vendor reps for event needs. o Interface with event suppliers and update orders accordingly. o Take initiative in resolving on-the-spot difficulties as they arise and keep VP, Events & Education informed of challenges and issues as they arise. • Perform other duties as assigned. Often serve as a backup if other staff members are not available.
Preferences: • Experience working for a membership association. Members receive personalized and immediate action when contacting the association.
• Proficient in: o MS Office 365 o Event App administration and design
• Familiarity with: o Association Management System (AMS) – Salesforce & Fonteva o Content Management System (CMS) – Drupal o Cvent Systems o Learning Management System (LMS) desirable o Photoshop within Adobe Creative Cloud
Requirements: • Ability to adapt to high volume work periods as required. • Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed. • Bachelor’s degree or Associates with 4 years’ experience. • CMP certification is preferred, but not required. • Minimum of 5 years of experience in planning and managing conferences and events. • Minimum of 5 years direct vendor management experience. • Strong database experience with registration, program submissions, or similar. • Strong skills with a solid understanding of contract terms and conditions and some experience negotiating agreements. • Experience with onsite logistics management and support for programs. • Excellent written and verbal communication skills with special attention to an understanding of written contracts and agreements and writing and editing promotional copy. • Experience with abstract submissions and certification management preferred. • Association industry or nonprofit background is required; corporate-member association experience is strongly preferred. • Must be able to travel, including some weekends. • Must be physically able to set up for meetings, carrying and moving items such as signs, platters, drinks, small AV equipment, etc.
Attributes of the Deputy Director • Project manager. You can juggle multiple tasks, allocate and optimize resources, and manage timelines.You enjoy creating and implementing processes and procedures that uphold rigorous standards. You manage a task from start to finish.
• Collaborative. You work well with colleagues and members, understanding their concerns and realistically managing their expectations – you build trust and rapport across all levels of the organization. You give respect; you earn yours. You are grounded in our organizational values of sharing information and working cooperatively. • Ownership. You succeed in a team environment, work well independently, and carry your weight, learning from others and contributing in equal measure. • Exceptional communicator. You are known for your poise, tact, and diplomacy. You are comfortable in a social setting and can confidently engage at all levels and across multiple stakeholder groups. You collaborate on projects and communicate results, and you are willing to listen and learn from others. • Cool under pressure. You do your best work when the pressure is highest. You grow more controlled and confident in your abilities to solve problems the more problems arise. • Service drive. You set the standard for meeting and exceeding expectations. You are responsive and committed. You are clear, tactful, and diplomatic about what’s realistic and what’s possible. • Strong initiative and judgment. You have good judgment and a thoughtful approach. You are sensitive to the challenges, goals, and varying needs of all stakeholders.
TEA is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
About ESOP Association
The ESOP Association is the only organization that advocates on behalf of all ESOP companies. Dedicated to education, The ESOP Association attracts more than 10,000 people annually to its 18 chapters and five national meetings—including the Las Vegas Conference & Trade Show, which is the largest ESOP event in the world.