The American Association for Justice (AAJ®) is seeking an Accounting Services Manager for its Finance department. AAJ works to preserve the constitutional right to trial by jury and to make sure people have a fair chance to seek justice when they are injured by the negligence or misconduct of others—even when it means taking on the most powerful corporations.
The Accounting Services Manager is responsible for all accounting related to the AAJ Endowment, the AAJ Education Fund, PAC States, oversight of all treasury operations (including accounts payable management), and payroll review and backup. This position will also support efforts to identify and establish new processes, protocols, and systems, and maintain if not create appropriate process documentation. In this role, the Accounting Services Manager must be able to apply knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
• Responsible for full accounting cycle duties and accurate Endowment Reports monthly and to the Board, including Endowment investment account reconciliation and any related investment journal entries.
• Timely completion of Endowment and PAC States bank reconciliations; research and resolve any differences.
• Responsible for full accounting cycle duties for AAJ’s Education Fund monthly including Balance Sheet Account reconciliations (including Ed Fund intercompany accounts and benefits allocations between AAJ and EF).
• Responsible for various AAJ revenue journal entries and assisting with month end procedures as needed.
• Lead support person for AAJ’s annual audit of 401(k) Plan and related 5500 filings and provide support for annual financial audit for AAJ.
• Supervise and review payroll; serve as backup to payroll processing.
• Supervise the work of a Staff Accountant and an Accounts Payable & Payroll Accountant.
• Monitor and recommend changes to AAJ internal controls related to Mineral Tree and automated payments as appropriate.
• Support the automated preparation of employee expense reports in Expense Wire based on monthly corporate card usage; verify employee and board member expense reports are accurate, reasonable and within policy.
• Reconcile staff credit card statements each month.
• Manage AAJ’s sales and use tax compliance process.
• Submit required bank wires for approval by the CFO
• Support efforts towards compilation of the annual Ed Fund budget, audit and 990 tax filing, and reviews all journal activities consolidated into the AAJ general ledger.
• B.S. degree in Accounting. CPA Preferred.
• Minimum of 8-10 years full-cycle accounting experience with associations or not- for-profits. Some public accounting preferred.
• Knowledge of general accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
• Proficiency with entire Microsoft Office Suite with preferred Intermediate Excel skills.
• Proficiency in Paycom and Mineral Tree software highly desirable.
• Experience with data manipulation and conducting analysis using Microsoft Excel.
• Experience with Microsoft Dynamics-GP and Netforum preferred.
• Prior supervisory experience and the ability to multi-task.
• Ability to prioritize, work independently, with a team, and meet deadlines.
• Strong written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy
• Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
*Due to COVID-19 this position will temporarily work remotely.
AAJ offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. AAJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.
The American Association for Justice, formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA®), provides trial attorneys with information, professional support and a nationwide network that enables them to most effectively and expertly represent clients. The mission of the American Association for Justice is to promote a fair and effective justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests.