This position reports to the VP of Communications and is responsible for curating, writing and editing compelling content for distribution across ISRI platforms – including owned, earned, paid and social channels. The content editor and writer creates content strategies and oversees implementation. This highly-collaborative position ensures content across the organization is clear, concise and compelling while following ISRI’s tone and style guidelines. The successful candidate will be a strong communicator, good listener and accustomed to meeting often tight deadlines while also maintaining progress on day-to-day projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
1. Edits and proofreads all content distributed by the organization including but not limited to articles, newsletters, print publications, web content, testimony, and other materials.
2. Leads ISRI’s digital news, e-newsletters and other informational content that includes generating story ideas; planning, assigning, and editing content; overseeing production schedules and editorial calendar; and working with subject-matter experts and external writers.
3. Follows AP Style, while maintaining the ISRI style guide and ensuring its adherence across the association.
4. Develops and project manages against an editorial calendar.
5. Works across the association – collaborating with ISRI departments and member volunteers – to develop contacts and information sources for stories and other content to educate and inform ISRI members and the public.
6. Builds a base of knowledge of the association’s mission to help identify valuable news and storytelling trends by monitoring industry media and covering selected industry meetings.
7. Develops contacts/sources for editorial content to be written or assigned to freelancers and staff writers.
1. Writing and editing for digital news and information vehicles, including websites, e-newsletters, social media, podcasts, video scripts, and other publications.
2. Proofreading and copyediting.
3. Research and fact-checking to ensure accuracy and to reinforce the credibility of ISRI as a source of news and information.
4. Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
6. Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, InDesign, and WordPress.
7. Thorough knowledge of project management platforms such as Asana and Sharepoint.
8. General understanding of video and audio editing programs and techniques such as the use of Final Cut Pro, Audacity, and other tools.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.